Tuesday 10 January 2012

7 Tricks for Using a Calendar for Home Management

How to use a calendar for home management...

How to use a calendar for home management...

With a new year, comes a new calendar - with all its glorious white space begging to be filled with appointments, practices, school activities, and all the other chaos that accompanies children.

As our days fill, it's easy to lose track of who needs to be where and when. Not to mention bills to pay and the constantly growing to-do lists. I keep it all under control in one place - the family calendar.

My calendar is pretty much my life - it's the first thing I look at in the morning, and the last place I go before bed. Over the years, I've developed a pretty efficient system for tracking appointments, bills, to-dos, and even our weekly menu.

Here are my favorite tricks for keeping it all together:

1. Location
No calendar will do you any good if it's never checked. Place your family calendar where it will be most useful. Do you have a centralized location where everyone will see it? Should it be by the front door so you never miss a thing? I keep mine in the bathroom. Yep, the bathroom.

Related: Totally stylish 2012 calendars for the new year

Here I can see it at night as I get ready for bed. I'll know what clothes to lay out, what time to get up, and if I should track down anything necessary for the day's activities. It's also the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning. I can check it first thing, then review the day in my head as I get ready.

2. Color Code
I have a different color pen for each member of the family, and a 6th for all-family functions. This saves valuable writing space as there is no need to label who has the appointment or event. My phone calendar is also color-coded - one for each family member, one for work, and one for the whole family. It helps me see at a glance who is free on any given day.

3. Stickers
The stickers are a useful tool for sorting out what's what. Plus, they add a bit of fun & color to a big, white calendar. It also helps the non-readers know what's happening. My daughter always knows when her own Girl Scout meetings are coming because the sticker we use for Scout meetings has the time written in green. That's her.

Related: How to declutter after the holidays without really trying

4. Menu Planning
Using the calendar for meal planning will keep food on the table and more money in your wallet. When your evenings are filled with activities, you'll need a quick & easy dinner to keep you out of the drive-thru. When your days are spent away from home, you may prefer to plan a crockpot meal.

5. Pocket storage
Once the date is on the calendar, you can probably toss the paper it came home on. If, however, you need to retain it for directions, phone numbers or other vital information, an envelope taped to the back over will be the perfect solution. Some larger calendars may come with a built-in pocket. Either way, you'll be able to store the invitations and notes that go with your calendar items.

Related: 25 home solution tips and tricks that will blow your mind

6. Bill Due Dates
Keep track of payments with a small notation on the calendar, or schedule a date once or twice per month to pay bills and balance the budget. Wine & Budget Night goes on ours at least once per month, early enough to send our payments on time.

7. To-Do Lists
Keep a to-do list on or near the calendar, then find a free time to schedule specific items as needed. Things get lost in the shuffle, but if my to-do list is near my calendar, I may see a blank spot that can be allotted to a project or errand.

- By Heather Sokol

For more tricks for using a calendar for home management, visit Babble!

MORE ON BABBLE

20 things you can live without to reduce clutter
25 totally clever storage tips and tricks
Everyday household items to help organize your life
20 cool decorating tricks to make your home POP!
18 out-of-the-box family picture poses

Get updated on design & DIY, all on a budget. Follow The New Home Ec on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment